Friday, June 8, 2012

About once a year, I volunteer, or get volunteered, to give a demo for my woodturning club. I enjoy doing it, so I'm not really complaining. It just takes quite a bit of preparation. They say never demonstrate what you haven't done, so I have to turn a few practice pieces. Then I have to make sure my presentation fits the time frame. I have to gather everything I will need, and turn a few pieces part way. In a lot of ways, it is like doing a cooking show. You put all the ingredients together, pop it in the oven, and it magically comes out 30 seconds later as a finished dish.

Last but not least, I would like to make it not only informative, but somewhat entertaining. No one wants to sit through a 2 1/2 hour presentation that is slightly less engaging than watching paint dry. All this comes to a head next Saturday, when I do my presentation. I will be talking about different types of tool handles, as well as different ways to make your own, both for turning tools and regular hand tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment