Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Time is not on my side

I don't know about other artists, or even other turners, but my creativity runs in spurts. I feel like I really need to capitalize on it when it comes, because it will be gone soon. I have even resorted to carrying around a small notepad that I can jot ideas down on as they come, because I know they will be long gone by the time I get home. Even then, sometimes the sketch does not translate to what my brain really wants to do.

Lately, I have been experimenting on a few pieces of Walnut a friend gave me. I also have several different peppermill designs down that I need to beta test before I demonstrate them for my club in September. I also  have been kicking around an idea I got from Stephen Hatcher, a turner who does a lot of design with crushed mineral inlay and combining that with some of my own ideas.

Here is one of the experiments. It didn't turn out exactly like I had expected, but close enough to spark some new ideas and give me a different direction to go in. It is hollowed so it is very light, and has copper pipe and Turquoise Inlace (an imitation turquoise- epoxy type material) inlaid at 8 places around the base.

No comments:

Post a Comment