Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jigs, Jigs and Jigs

I hate making jigs. To me, it's like fixing your car instead of driving it. It's like planning a vacation instead of actually going. You know you have to do the prep work to get to what you really want to be doing, but the prep work is not the enjoyable part, at least for me. Some people really enjoy making jigs and the challenge it brings. I would rather just turn.

Some people also enjoy making tools, putting together vacuum systems, all sorts of those things. I wish I could be one of those people. I would rather just work towards my finished product. However, I realize that is not always possible. Sometimes, to achieve the desired result, you have to go around conventional means to get the job done.

That is what today was about. I worked on a jig using a very large nut to fit on my lathe spindle. Eventually, this will house the tops of my peppermills for turning and drilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment