Saturday, March 27, 2010

Show Prep

I just signed up for a big art and craft show in 2 weeks, so all my free time between now and then will be spent getting ready. I have turned a bunch of peppermills with unique antique tops, and still have several more things to get turned before I will feel ready. On top of that, I haven't done a show in awhile, so I have to get all the display stuff and paperwork ready.

I also was asked by a friend of mine who makes carbide turning tools to do some beta testing on some new carbide cutters he is working on. He sent me 3 round cutter heads, and an evaluation spreadsheet. I started in on the first one last night. I used a very dry piece of olive salvaged from a Central Avenue storm about 2 years ago. It is very dry and hard.







I also started in on a hollow form made of Alder. Alder is sometimes considered a very mundane hardwood. It is often reserved for jigs and fixtures. That is what this piece was destined for, until I started turning it and uncovered some nice spalting and figure, as well as this open bark inclusion. Many would consider this a defect, and toss it aside. I consider it a feature, and a challenge to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment