Sunday, March 6, 2011

First live demo

Well, yesterday was the big day, my first live demo. It went well for the most part. There were a few mishaps. Lesson learned: don't spill analine dye when you are trying to airbrush something. I met a lot of people and may have even got a few people interested in turning. I know one person is going to join the AZWoodturners.




I actually over prepared for the demo, that is, I had way too much to get to in the time I had allotted. I supposed that is good. I would rather have too much than to run out of things to do. This way, I have more to work on for the next time, I guess.

I primarily did some burning, but added in some dyeing work, and experimented with a little eggshell work. I can't say I particularly liked it, but I also realized what I would do next time to make it a little more appealing.

The piece that got the most attention was a large piece that I dyed white with shoe polish, airbrushed, then burned. In this photo, I have penciled in the music notes, but they still need to be burned. I also have to put it back on the lathe and do some finish sanding to blend the colors a little more.

I didn't sell much, but some good came out of it. My wife brought her mom and the kids to the downtown festival, and when I was in doing my demos, she found out some valuable information about being a part of the actual festival. I have put in my application for next month's show, so keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment