Friday, March 11, 2011

New wood arrival

One of the greatest things about being a woodturner is when someone remembers what you do. Yesterday, a friend at work came to me with a log of black walnut. He said it was destined for the fire pit when he remembered what I did and thought I might be able to do something with it.





It was too small in diameter to get any good size bowls out of, and after cutting it up, one side was fairly well infested with beetles and dry rot. However, there was enough good wood to get 4 good end grain pieces out of. One of these will be turned and given back to the man who gave me the wood as a thank you. As for the rest, I'll have to think about for awhile.




Today, I also went to Woodcraft. After observing and helping with one of their introduction to woodturning classes, I talked to the assistant manager. I am going to be added to the roster of instructors and worked into the schedule to teach. It will be somewhat sporadic, and not a ton of money, but that is not the point. I love to turn, and I love to teach. What a great combination. It will also be good to stay in front of a group as I gear up to do more live demos.

No comments:

Post a Comment