Wednesday, March 23, 2011


I haven't done much turing in the last week or so. I have been busy with related things, though. I made a card on casters for the mini lathe. I have been getting requests for live demos, and had no way to do them because the lathe in my shop isn't portable. I was able to borrow the mini lathe and build the cart from plywood I had around the shop.

My grinder is portable, so I put a shelf to be able to take it with me so I could sharpen my tools on the go. The metal uprights are EMT conduit that will receive a plexi-glass front for safety, just in case something flies.

It's not exactly heirloom quality. My wife said she knows now why I am a turner and not a cabinet maker. She is right. However, it is sturdy, portable, and only cost about $6 for the casters and $9 for the plexiglass. Everything else I had around the shop.

I have a demo coming up this weekend, and another on April 2. Hopefully, I can work the bugs out. I'd really like to scale down. I always seem to over pack, but I guess that is better than getting caught short.

I also sat on my first board meeting for the Arizona Woodturners. The club is buying a new lathe, and has some other decisions to make. I'm glad to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment