Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My first demo

Last Saturday was my first live demo. I did it with another turner at a function his church sponsored. The biggest lesson learned was that I took just way too much stuff. I have another demo this week and I think I have most of the bugs worked out.

Another issue I had is with the lathe itself. I am very grateful to the man who let me borrow his small lathe while he was gone for the summer, but it is quite an adjustment. I am used to turning on a large lathe in my shop that weighs about 800 pounds and runs on 220 volts. For the demo, I use a small lathe with a 10" capacity that only has a 1/2 hp motor and weighs about 50 pounds, if that. You can't turn large things or things that are too far out of balance. You also can't take large cuts like I am used to doing during the initial stages of turning. The trade off is the portability. There is no way to transport or power my large lathe when I am at these things. I think the best option is just to remember to turn small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment